Summary of Assignment:
|Nature of assignment||Short term|
|Location||Will vary depending on the respondents|
|Timeframe||30 working days|
|Reporting||To Executive Director/CEO|
|Date of Advertisement||25th January 2022|
The “Support to East African Market-Driven and People-Centred Integration” programme (SEAMPEC) supports an East African Community (EAC) integration process that focuses on the needs of the private sector as well as on social aspects. It is steered by the EAC Secretariat and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). SEAMPEC works to improve framework conditions for economic growth in the EAC, e.g., by removing identified trade barriers or assisting the business sector in developing policy recommendations. Furthermore, the programme assists several economic sectors in implementing regional agreements and improving framework conditions for increasing value-addition.
The East African Business Council (EABC) is the apex advocacy body of Private Sector Associations and Corporates from the 6 East African Community (EAC) Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda). It was established in 1997 to foster the interest of the private sector interests in the EAC integration process. EABC’s vision is borderless East Africa for business and investment with primary mission of promoting sustainable private sector-driven growth. EABC has Observer Status at the EAC level which offers an authentic avenue for advocating for private sector interests in the EAC integration agenda with a view of promoting a conducive business environment in the region.
The overall objective of the assignment is to develop EAC Barometer on trade and investment amid COVID-19. The specific objectives include:
- – (qualitatively and quantitatively);
- Identify key indicators for the investment & trade plus business outlook;
- Undertake a review of the COVID-19 related measures including stimulate packages and how best EAC Partner States can implement a regional coordinated approach to build better businesses and economies;
- Identify key challenges and factors responsible for the current EAC Partner States performance amid COVID-19;
- Establish views of businesses on key performances indicators (business outlook);
- Prepare a matrix of actionable policy recommendations and strategic measures the EAC Partner States should adopt to recover from the COVID-19 Pandemic.
SCOPE OF THE ASSIGNMENT AND DUTIES
In order to achieve the desired objectives of the consultancy, the technical proposal should detail how the consultancy will be conducted. The technical proposal should also contain a work plan which explains how the assignment will be undertaken in line with the timeframe. Finally, the technical proposal will include a methodology that meets both the scope of work and deliverables described in the Terms of Reference (ToR). The main tasks of the Consultant are not limited to:
- Develop a methodology of conducting barometer on the state of EAC Business & Investment amid COVID-19,
- Collect and collude data (quantitative and qualitative) on performance, trends, views and confidence of EAC businesses and investors amid COVID-19;
- Assessment of the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on businesses and investment in EAC;
- Develop EABC Policy brief on the impact of COVID-19 pandemic on businesses and investment in the region;
- Organize internal validation workshop;
- Present report of the Barometer on State of EAC Business and Investment Amid COVID-19; and
- Facilitate regional webinar by presenting the final report of the barometer to the regional stakeholders.
The consultant, considering the terms of reference, is expected to deliver the following:
- Inception report which among other things will contain the detailed work plan for carrying out the scope of work, proposed methodology and research design survey instruments for the barometer;
- Draft report of Barometer of EAC Business and Investment amid COVID-19,
- Policy brief detailing among others, key recommendations on regional approach against COVID-19
- Final report that includes, final findings of Barometer of EAC Business and Investment Amid COVID-19. The report will cover the Consultant’s final findings, after feedback from EABC & GIZ Secretariat and other key stakeholders
- Consolidated contact list of interviewees
- Policy brief containing a summary of both findings of Barometer of EAC Business and Investment amid COVID-19 and key recommendations.
PLACEMENT AND TIMELINE OF ASSIGNMENT
- Place of and timeline of assignment
The assignment will be mainly carried out physically and virtually. This will also include desk review and other forms of consultations.
The assignment will be for the duration of up to 3 months from January to March 2022 and will be for up to 30 Consultancy days.
Inception and final reports, including all final work and deliverables, are to be sent to the Executive Director of EABC Secretariat. Steering and coordination will be done together with the EABC & GIZ Team in charge of the assignment.
A suitable candidate should hold the following qualifications and key competencies:
- Academic qualifications: A Masters degree or postgraduate qualification in any of the following fields: Economics, Business Administration or any other relevant field is required.
- Work Experience: A minimum of seven (7) years’ demonstrable experience in conducting research /survey on business/trade-related field, an understanding of business & investment across EAC region
- Proven track-record in related assignments at the national or regional level
- Communication and Networking: Must be able to identify key stakeholders; seek their views, correctly interpret their messages and respond appropriately
- Knowledge of EAC Integration, international trade and EAC economies is a must
- Languages: Fluency in oral and written English is required as it is the main EAC working language. Good working knowledge of French and Kiswahili will be an advantage.
- Experience working with organizations such as EABC, and other regional or international organizations.
- Good working experience in the EAC region.
- Additional Skills: Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Excel), Email, analytical tools/software for data analysis, experience in working with internet searches, online databases, and data retrieval) are required.
- Nationality: The position is only open to Nationals of any of the EAC Partner States, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and South Sudan.
- MODE OF PAYMENT
|Time||Amount to be paid|
|Upon submission of the inception report||20% of the total amount|
|Upon submission of the draft report||35% of the total amount|
|Upon approval of the final report and conducting regional Webinar||45% of the total amount|
- THE APPLICATION PROCESS:
Send technical and financial proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org clearly marked “Consultancy to Undertake Barometer on State of EAC Business and Investment Amid COVID-19”. The proposal should include the current curriculum vitae, proposed methodology, work plan and a financial proposal. Applications close on 15th February 2022 at (5.00 p.m.).
EABC is an equal opportunity employer thus recruitment is on merit and with no regard to one’s age, colour, gender, marital status, disability or impairment, race or creed. Canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.
Environmental aspects will be taken into consideration.