CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER
The East African Business Council (EABC) is the apex advocacy body of Private Sector
Associations and Corporates from the seven (7) East African Community (EAC) Partner States (Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda). It was established in 1997 to foster the interest of the private sector interests in the EAC integration process. EABC’s vision is borderless East Africa for business and investment with primary mission of promoting sustainable private sector- driven growth. EABC has Observer Status at the EAC level which offers an authentic avenue for advocating for private sector interests in the EAC integration agenda with a view of promoting a conducive business environment in the region.
2.0 SCOPE OF WORK
The EABC, Chief Operations Officer, will have the overall responsibility to develop and implement a comprehensive resource mobilization strategy aimed at increasing and diversifying the revenue base of the organization. She/he will be responsible to develop and implement a comprehensive business development plan that includes new and improved value adding services for members.
The Chief Operations Officer, will directly report to the CEO/Executive Director and shall be responsible for the overall supervision of the operations department which among others include Finance, Administration and procurement:
2.1 KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Under the overall supervision of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), work with all relevant departments to ensure implementation of programme work under resource mobilization and Business Development Services
2. She/he will be responsible for the design and implementation of business operations, establishing and promoting of the organization culture and vision whilst overseeing the operations of the department.
3. Coordinate the development, implementation and monitoring of EABC resource mobilization and business development plans.
4. Develop a marketing plan and EABC catalogue of value adding and fee based products and services.
5. Develop projects and apply for grants, liaise with donors on grants as well as organize donor roundtables and other events that generates revenue to EABC
6. Ensure that the implementation of projects and services (including events) is well coordinated with other departments.
7. Take lead in organizing key EABC events such as the East African Business and Investment Summit (EABIS) and the Manufacturing and Business Summit.
8. Oversee operational systems, processes, and areas of improvement for the department.
9. Initiate capacity building activities for staff in the department to increase efficiency and professional service delivery.
10. Working closely with the CEO to improve the revenue base of the organization through value proposition and engagements
11. Plays a significant role in long-term planning of EABC projects, and their execution.
12. Works closely with management team to ensure all business development and resource mobilization functions within the organization are being properly executed.
13. Other duties as maybe assigned by the CEO from time to time.
The selected applicant will be based in Arusha Tanzania and this job will involve frequent travel to all EAC partner states.
The Chief Operation Officer will report to the EABC Executive Director.
A suitable candidate should hold the following qualifications and key competencies:
a) Education Qualification: Minimum Masters in Finance, Business Administration or Economics with a very rich and vast experience in developing and implementing Fundraising strategies;
b) Work Experience: Minimum of 8 years of experience of fundraising experience
• Previous experience in sales or marketing and financial management is also acceptable.
• Sound knowledge and experience of the private sector led organizations in the EAC region is a prerequisite
• Experience of managing oneself and others to deliver financial targets, operational activities and objectives
c) Communication and Networking: Fluent in English (verbal and written, knowledge of Swahili and French is an added advantage.
d) Teamwork: Working collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals and ability to work in a multinational environment with diverse groups of stakeholders.
e) Languages: Fluency in oral and written English is required as it is the main EAC working language. Good working knowledge of French and Kiswahili will be an advantage.
f) Additional Skills: Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Email, analytical tools/software for data analysis, experience in working with internet searches, online databases, and data retrieval) are required.
g) Nationality: The position is only open to nationals and residents of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Burundi, Rwanda, South Sudan & Democratic Republic of Congo.
5.0 KEY DELIVERABLES
The key deliverables include:
• Annual work plan with supporting budget and monitoring plans
• Actionable resource mobilization and business development strategies
Monthly and annual narrative reports detailing the overall programmatic work; as per EABC and development partner reporting templates.
7.0 EXPECTED OUTCOMES
• Increased revenue base for EABC to finance programme work
• Improved collaboration between EABC and development Partners
• Enhanced value-added services to EABC members
• Increased revenue streams for the organization.
8.0 APPLICATION PROCESS
Applicants should submit attach their application letter, a detailed CV shows telephone contacts and three referees, Copies of certified academic certificates , and a copy of National Identity Card or Passport in PDF format scanned in one (1) file.
The applications should be sent via email to email@example.com to copy firstname.lastname@example.org please quote “CHIEF OPERATIONS OFFICER” in the subject of the email and send to the address given below. by 25th July 2023.
The Executive Director / CEO
East African Business Council (EABC) Ninth Floor, Mafao House, Old Moshi Road
P. O. Box 2617 Arusha, Tanzania
Only applicants who meet the selection criteria are shortlisted will be contacted.
EABC is an equal opportunity employer thus recruitment is on merit and with no regard to one’s age, colour, gender, marital status, disability or impairment, race or creed. Hence, canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification.