The East African Business Council held a Virtual Private Sector Meeting with the Incoming Secretary-General of the East African Community Hon. Dr. Peter Mathuki on 7th April 2021.
In his remarks during the meeting, Mr. Simon Kaheru, EABC Board Director said, “On behalf of the private sector in Uganda, I commend Dr. Peter Mutuku Mathuki on his appointment as the incoming Secretary-General of the East African Community by the EAC Summit of EAC Heads of State. This perfectly strengthens and cements collaboration between the private and public sector.”
He elaborated that the Ugandan Private Sector looks forward to an institutionalized dialogue mechanism between the private sector and the EAC, including the re-introduction of the EAC Secretary General – CEOs Forum.
Mr. Gideon Badagawa, Executive Director Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) congratulate Dr. Peter Mathuki, EABC CEO & Incoming EAC Secretary-General for the great job done at the EABC and for his appointment as the incoming Secretary-General of the Community.
He elaborated that the Private Sector is committed to drive policy to boost economic growth and investments in the region. He stated that the EAC Secretary General – CEOs Forum offers a platform for the EAC Secretariat to understand cross-border business issues and opportunities.
On behalf of the business community in Uganda, Mr. Gideon Badagawa, Executive Director Private Sector Foundation Uganda (PSFU) presented a Memoranda on issues pertinent to the EAC regional integration agenda namely:
- Private sector driven integration process in particular openness, sustaining and expanding the regional markets including the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
- Resolving persistent and recurring Non-Tariff Barriers blocking access to markets and expansion of investments
- Re-opening of the closed borders
- Facilitation of trade development by regulators- harmonization of standards and mutual recognition of professionals
- Peace and Security of property and people around key markets
- Revival of EAC Secretary General CEOs Forum
- Heads of State Dialogue with Private Sector
- Formal Initialized dialogue between EAC and EABC
On his part, Hon. Dr. Mathuki, expressed his appreciation noting that the issues will inform his vision and strategy as the incoming EAC Secretary-General. He further elaborated his commitment to steer the EAC bloc to greater heights via spearheading EAC Economic recovery from COVID-19, strengthening regional supply chains &EAC Partner States’ Comparative advantages and repositioning the bloc into opportunities availed by the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) among other Agreements.